Monday, September 9, 2013

I Really Don't Have ADD

Hello there.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may notice a sudden influx of work attire from yours truly.  Let it be known, that upon that first paycheck, someone is going shopping.  (Don't worry, Dad, just the essentials.)

Right now, partly because I don't want to wear the same two pencil skirts all the time, and partly because I have zero dress pants in my closet, I have been wearing lots of dresses and cardigans and such.  I would like some more "business-y" pieces though, so I have been gathering ideas.   Am I the only one surprised that when I looked up "office appropriate"  I found all kinds of shorts to wear to the office?  Maybe I have just worked in strict offices?  I didn't think I had, but maybe I did because I never would have dreamed of wearing shorts.  (And still don't.)

Also, we have some sad news.  Our miraculous internet connection in the apartment has parted ways with us.  It is quite the disappointment.  I think Jered is calling our local internet provider today.

Let's see, I had several random things to tell you about, but I seem to have forgotten them.

Anyway, I was reading Ephesians today.  I used the New English Translation; it was an interesting way to read things I've read several times in a different translation.  I am still grappling with this idea of predestination.  It seems unjust.  Maybe it's just the word choice?  I don't know.

I also don't remember ever understanding the Holy Spirit in this way: our down payment on our inheritance from God.  I think that's such an interesting concept.

Then I was reminded that a nice big chunk of Ephesians is on unity and peace.  It says to live a life worthy of our calling.  To live in humility, gentleness, patience.  To bear with one another in love.  To make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

(Side note:  This is the English nerd in me, I'm sure, but I just accidentally put a space in between re and minded, and thought, well isn't that interesting?  It gave me a completely different look at what it means to be reminded.  Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake.)

Sorry, I'm getting tangential.  Anyway, I thought to myself as I was reading this, "I can't even act that way in my marriage.  How am I supposed to act that way to people I don't know, or maybe don't care for too much?  But it tells me how:  I am to put off my old self, and put on my new self that has been created in God's image.  I am an image bearer for Christ, am I not?  I am to be clothed in "righteousness and holiness that comes from truth."  But gosh, how often do I forget to finish dressing with that?

Another main point that stuck out to me today was how easy it will be for the antichrist to deceive us whenever he comes.  After all, the Bible tells us that Jesus brought peace and unity to the Jews and Gentiles and he taught about it often.  And that's exactly the stand the antichrist is going to claim.  I wonder if we will be able to discern right away when he rises to "fame."

So much of life is that way though, isn't it?  Ephesians 4:14 says, "So we are no longer children, tossed back and forth by waves and carried about by every wind of teaching by the trickery of people who craftily carry out their deceitful schemes."

See, I think the problem is that when I think of these sneaky people, I believe that I'll see they are sneaky.  But that's the whole point right?  That you can't tell?  Otherwise it would be, in fact, not sneaky.  I also think that it comes into our lives in the most mundane and every day kinds of ways to the extent that we don't even notice sometimes that there could be something much bigger behind it.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but sometimes I just need to re-mind myself.  You know, try to stay ahead of the game if I can.

Last bit, I promise.  Something in Sunday's sermon brought this string of thoughts into my head.  "Am I using my whole potential in whatever way God would like?  Probably not.  Why not?  I don't feel like I can accomplish it.  Or maybe I don't know what He would like yet.  Well then, why don't you pray about it.  He will probably show you the way or open doors for you.  Gosh, Aimee, 'How thick can you get?'"

For real, that's almost exactly how it went down in my head as I sat in the service; movie quote included.  I kid you not.

Well, friend, I will not drag this out and contemplate the meaning of my life for you.  I'm sure you have better things to do that follow my stream of consciousness.  Maybe when I get a better idea about His plan, I'll let you know.

Until next time, have a lovely Monday afternoon.  Yes, Monday's almost over- we can do it!

Aim

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of when I first started going on job interviews, and had no "business pants"! Now i own one pair... lol oh well! Guess I'll always be a skirt kinda girl haha

    Rachel Emma
    Daydream Frenzy

    ReplyDelete