Monday, October 24, 2016

Season of Faith

I came across a prayer a few weeks ago, and a line from it has stayed with me ever since, changing the way I view life.

"Let not faith cease from seeking thee until it vanishes into sight."

Faith will vanish into sight. The need for faith will cease to exist.

Cue my mind being blown.

This prayer, from Arthur Bennett's The Valley of Vision, was in an eight week devotional study I just finished, and throughout the book, I found myself learning that I carry around way more anxiety about worldly problems than I realized. 

In fact, my worries seemed to intensify as I went through the study. The whole time I kept wondering what I was doing wrong. Why wasn't I able to trust that everything would resolve in time? Why couldn't I relax and know that God was in control? Why was I stressing out even more after reading and rereading about trusting in God?

Each week, although focusing on different aspects and steps to intimacy with God, at some point circled back to the fact that the valley, the hard parts, the shadowy place, is where we do our growing. It is where our faith is grown, our hearts and souls, developed.

So, I suppose I've just been going through a growth spurt of sorts. It has been hard. And stressful. But it is for a season, and something I've been taught is that we must enjoy the season because it is short in the scope of eternity.

My entire life will be a season of faith. Someday that season will be over, and I will be granted sight in its place. For now, I will do my best to embrace the necessity of faith, to use the time to get to know God's character better, to develop my heart and soul.

***

On a slightly different note, I'm beyond ready for this season of pregnancy to come to an end. Everything is harder when you have what feels like a bowling ball in your middle. At least I have this goofy girl around to keep me laughing:







No comments:

Post a Comment