Monday, May 9, 2016

Momming

Hi all.

I've been thinking about momming quite often lately.  (Probably not ultra-surprising seeing how yesterday was Mothers' Day, right?)

Or given the fact that I'm a mom, and it pretty much runs your life.

Or because numero dos is on the horizon.  (Speaking of- I dreamed last night that "it" was a "she" and came two months early - looking full term - on my parents' kitchen floor.  It all happened in a matter of minutes and I felt totally normal afterward.  Ah.  If only.)

In case you were losing sleep at night- I figured out why Evie was so weird earlier this week: she cut not just one, but three new teeth.  Aaaaand life makes sense again for the moment.  I knew the one tooth was bugging her over a week ago, but I was at a loss this week.

 

Anyway, thoughts on momming, yeah?

Well yesterday I listened... uneasily(?) to the Mothers' Day message about entrusting our children to God.  I say uneasily because it was about Hannah giving Samuel over to God as soon as he was weaned.  She had longed and longed for a child, and when she had one, she gave him up because she had "struck a deal" with God.

Our Pastor pointed out that it was ridiculous of Hannah to strike a deal with God because anything she could offer Him was already His.

My children were God's children first and always.  They don't belong to me.  I am merely a steward, entrusted with their sweet lives for a short time.

But, but but?

If they aren't mine, why, oh why are they allowed to steal my heart and walk around with it?  How can they be a part of me, and not mine?

Well, I haven't come to a conclusion about that yet.

 

Now that I'm out of school and work from home, I have no concept of time of year.  Apparently it's graduation season, and moms everywhere are experiencing the bittersweet of watching their babies leave home.

I know that I'm going to get to Evelyn's graduation and think, "How? How did it come so soon?  Is she ready?  Did I do my job well enough?"  That will be plenty hard, so I'm stunned that Hannah had the strength to follow through on her promise to give Samuel over at just a few years of age.

A quote from someone who was asked how to be a good foster parent was read yesterday.  It went something like this:  The only way to be a good foster parent is to love the children even though you know it will rip your heart out when they leave.

That thought works for all parents, yeah?  But in light of eternity, I'm a foster mom to my babies.  I have them for a short time, and the only way for me to be a good mom is to love them even though I know it won't last forever.

 

I want to live that way.  Like my time is limited.  I want to love them like I only have a short time with them.  And I'm oh-so-grateful for the time we have.

Later,

Aim

No comments:

Post a Comment